Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday Sh*tpile

It was William Shakespeare (or maybe, Carrot Top) who said “Temptation is the fire that brings up the scum of the heart.” This weekend seems to be one enticement after another. Yesterday I was at a charity golf tournament that featured a double whammy: all-you-can-eat buffet lunch and a beer-laden beverage cart that seemed to show up every other hole. Luckily, the buffet had lots of healthy choices… salad, fresh veggies, fruit…that I seem to be the only person in the room availing themselves of. Out on the course, I nursed a Bud Light like it was dying of terminal cancer. All in all, I was pretty proud of myself for getting through the day without an “Ah, what the hell?” breakdown.

Then today, I had to drop my daughter Pisa off to meet some friends for a Memorial Day camping trip. The problem? I had to meet a group at the crack of dawn at Starbucks. Keep in mind that I’m four days into a no-coffee program. We wound up having the hang around the place for a half hour, and the aroma was almost overwhelming. I got a juice drink and cursed the gods that kept yucking it up at my expense.

Tomorrow, my wife Anita and I have a kid-free evening, so we’re planning an overnight outing. I’m going to try to plan it out and keep things from getting too, too out of hand. This is full-scale warfare, so I know I can’t worry too much about a single skirmish here or there. Keep your perspective, and pick your battles.

8 comments:

  1. Way to go on not eating off plan. Just have fun with your wife and try not to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did terrific staying on plan with so many temptations. That's tough.

    Have a great weekend with your wife. Those kid free evenings are golden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Early morning...no caffeine for 4 days...Starbucks...juice?? WTH? You need help Dude. I don't know if I can even follow this blog anymore. :-)

    Previous post deleted due to failure to use spell check before hitting "post comment" button.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Temptations do seem to jump out at us in tag teams sometimes. It sucks!

    What's with giving up coffee?? Giving...up...coffee..... Nup, doesn't compute! Just the thought of going without makes me break out in a sweat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wrote "full SCALE warfare" ....hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I don't think I could walk into a Starbucks and not get coffee - you are strong, man! Lots of props for giving up coffee at the same time as changing your eating habits - that's a lot to do at one time.
    You sound like you've got your sh*t together - you'll be fine. Have fun with the wife!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be honored to get that "really sh*tty weight loss blog award" HINT HINT

    lol at nursing the Bud

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails