Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Body's A Wonderland

As in, “I wonder what it’s going to do to me this week.” Here’s what I had to deal with over the past seven days:

  • Missed three of my regular workouts
  • Parents sent over a high-fat meal (including cake and a pecan pie) to my house for bday
  • Co-worker left a bag of candy bars on my desk for bday
  • Bday dinner at my favorite restaurant
  • Bday cake at work

It felt like just too much to overcome, so even though I’ve really knuckled down and done well the past few days, I stepped on the scale this morning with a sense of doom and trepidation, sort of like when Indiana Jones goes into the dark, scary cave in the deepest, darkest part of the forbidden Amazon and steps on the scale.

Weekly weigh-in: 257.8
Loss: 3.5 lbs
Total loss: 33.7 lbs.
Emotion: Bewilderment

It just goes to show that missteps along the way don’t always count against you in the long run. Looking back on it, I think that the fear of what I’d done to myself added extra intensity to my workouts (which I caught back up on late in the week) and added a laser-like focus to what I was consuming.

Yes, I’m getting older, but I like to think I’m getting better as well.

14 comments:

  1. I've always believed it's what you do in the long run! I love my occasional glass of wine or a bottle of beer. But i watch what i'm doing for the rest of the day so that it doesn't matter that i have them.
    Glad you had a good birthday, and pecan pie from Mom who could resist!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i meant to say congrats on the nice loss which is amazing when you also had your birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done! it is what we do on a regular basis that will help us all in the long run. A treat on occasion is OK :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great bday present... you rock the mostest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday!!!!
    Great present indeed.

    I was just reading your side post about your rewards when you lose the weight. I couldn't help but laugh at this:

    Lose 50 lbs. - Give old clothes to GoodWill
    Lose 60 lbs. - Get new clothes from GoodWill

    For some reason a guy running around naked for awhile while he lost another 10 pounds popped in my head. LOL Guess I should bring my mind back out of the gutter. LOL

    Congrats on the weight loss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo-hoo! Great loss - proof positive that it is worth sticking with it, even when some days don't go perfectly.

    (I really wish I could get the thought of pecan pie out of my head now)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It feels good to have a loss even when we have convinced ourselves that it isn't going to happen. It often is what keeps me going... like my body gives me a boost when I need it most.

    Why do people do that? "Oh, here is a bag of death (or candy bars) for you...? I know it will make your birthday even more diabetic??"

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on both the birthday and the weight-loss. It's hard when people around you don't think about the junk they are shoving into your path...I've been on my family the past 2 weeks..."support me, don't tempt me!!!"
    I'm so happy for your strength

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on the loss..you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do your friends/coworkers/parents know that you are trying to lose weight? They must! I'm sure that after 33 pounds gone, they can see a difference. I'm just wondering if they can find another way to celebrate in the future that doesn't include cake/pie/fatty foods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The obvious lesson learned here is: Sometimes a body just needs some cake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely done! Congrats on the weight loss. And "Happy Birthday" if I was a slacker and haven't said it already! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes you need to jolt your body out of its newfound sense of security, diet-wise. mixing it up a little can sometimes yield surprising, pleasing results. Good job, and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You get a little older, you get a little wiser - it's a sh*tty tradeoff.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails