Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Raven-ous


Once upon a morning fleeting, I was pondering what I was eating,
Logging in my early meal’s caloric score
I was finally able to finagle, how many carbs were in that bagel,
When suddenly there came a rapping, rapping on my kitchen door.
“'Tis my wife,” I softly muttered. “Returning from the grocery store.
Only this, and nothing more.”

I put down my bread (unbuttered), “Honey, is that you?” I uttered,
“Do you need some help with the groceries that you purchased at the store?”
Then a awful chill shot through me, when it suddenly came to me
That this rapping wasn’t from my spouse returning from the store.
In the window was the blackest, fattest bird I’ve seen before,
And he chirped out: “Eat some more.”

I gazed down at my morning spread, which had not left me well-fed.
“Sir,” said I, “or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I’m on a diet, (and it appears that you should try it),
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my kitchen door.
Are you some mysterious beast that came from mythological lore?”
Quoth the raven: “Eat some more.”

So I flung open the pantry wide, to find the delicious food inside,
I grabbed cookies, cakes and crackers, then I scoured the shelves for more
Pop-Tarts, pretzels filled my arms: half a box of Lucky Charms,
I laid it all out on the table, rich and tasty snacks galore.
And perched at the window, just beside the kitchen door,
Laughed the raven: “Eat some more.”

Then this ebony bird beguiling (I could swear that he was smiling),
As he stared upon the table laden down with foodstuffs by the score
How did my morning meal turn into something so surreal?
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -
Tell me why you want me eating, why do you put my will to war?
Quoth the raven, “Eat some more.”

Well, that devil, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
Sitting patiently and waiting right beside my kitchen door;
And he wants to see me cheating, only happy when I’m eating
And he’ll always be beside me no matter how much I ignore.
But my heart and soul are stronger than they’ve ever been before
And I shall be tempted - Nevermore!

apologies to Edgar Allen Poe

9 comments:

  1. I loved it! I think the next time I am tempted, I'll probably tell myself not to go Poe. lol

    Nevermore, nevermore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this..Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. A delight to read! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh the English teacher inside me just let out a sigh of utter happiness...thank you for that one! LOVED IT!

    TC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, dad blast it, now I see what an overly simplified comment this was. . . I was just too new to gush!

    I went on and on to my family about how incredibly clever you were and how you clearly really KNEW the poem and stuck with it so well . . . I loved the "eat some more" voices from the cabinets.

    Everytime I'm online my poet hubby says in a jeolous voice. . . what are you doing reading Jack Sh*t??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Both amusing and powerful! I've linked to this on my own blog. Thank you for the much needed inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails