Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bodfather: Ending the Year with a Bang

Subject #5 in the "Bodfather"
Witness Reduction Program: Billie
 


Height: 5’4”
Starting weight: 411 
Current weight: 393.8
Loss: 17.2 lbs.
 
 
As is so often the case, I didn’t know what I was doing when I started my “Bodfather” program.

I was a little frustrated that I was writing a weight-loss blog and it was missing a little something (weight loss).

I thought it would be interesting to work with an individual and try to help and encourage them to get a little farther toward their weight-loss goals. That individual became a quintet of individuals, but I can’t say that any of them have gotten me more energized about my own fitness goals than my friend Billie.

Billie’s a large lady. I can’t pretend to know all the obstacles she’s faced at 400+ pounds. The rude comments and the complications of living in a world build for “normal”-sized people.

But there’s something even bigger about Billie. She’s got a irresistible energy and an infectious drive that’s powering a big, positive change in her life.

One day, I was telling her about how I could barely go for 15 minutes on an elliptical when I was at 300 pounds. She’s spotting me 100 lbs and tearing it up with the exercise. She’s just about blown up the DirectLife activity monitor that I muscled my friends at Philips for all the “Bodfather” participants.

“I am an athlete. A machine,” Billie told me recently. “I'm doing this like it's my job. And it is.”

Like the other “Bodfather” participants, she’s having issues on the food front, but she’s figuring it out day by day. And she’s rocking that scale. She’s said goodbye to the 400’s forever and is saying hello to a brand new person.

Billie wants a better future.

And she makes me want a better future for myself.

18 comments:

  1. Go Billie! Thanks for this Jack, such an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Billie....Awesome...You go girl. I tried the elliptical for the first time just the other night....I hope to be finding that athlete machine within..SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really liking this Bodfather project....all of the participants are awesome, but I think Billie is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Billie! We're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn that is impressive. Billie, you are amazing!

    I get on the elliptical and look like I am having a seizure. I still can't figure it out. My head and my feet aren't on speaking terms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Billie! I, too, started at more than 400lbs (I started at 413lbs, but I'm 5'9" or 5'10") so I know how she feels, trust me!

    But she is KICKING ASS, isn't she?

    Keep it up! We're all rooting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go, Billie go!!!! You are a machine, girl! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do it, Billie!! You're a warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Billie is doing an amazing job, and sounds like she's making some mental changes as well as physical. Keep strong over the holidays because YOU know that you CAN DO IT! Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. WAY to go!!! You can do it! food is the hardest thing for me, but I find when I work out a lot I want to eat better to fuel those work outs. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best part about Billie is her SWEET nature- that girl has a heart of gold! And she really is tearing it up on the exercise front. I don't know how, because I've been doing this for years and could barely eek out what she's doing! She's a ROCKSTAR! If you haven't gotten to know Billie yet- you should. She's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sincerely touched by this post, and by all the sweet sentiments you've expressed!!! Your encouragement is surely fueling me along! Thank you all so very much! =)

    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so impressed by what Billie is doing. This is indeed life changing.

    Congratulations and may you both have a good holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go Billie Go!!!! We're here to cheer you on and celebrate your success!!! Happy Holiday to you, Jack and both of your families!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanting to drop in and give a quick happy holidays to you jack. I hope you and your family have a great Holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohooo, Billie, you are rockin' the exercise. Every morning that I want to hit the snooze, I just think about you! You are a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails