Friday, January 15, 2010

Switcheroo

Because I like to keep you guessing, I'm pulling the old blog-and-switch today. That's right, I'm swapping places with Michelle from Eating Journey and she's returning the favor here on JSGF.

When Michelle first "exposed herself" on her site, I remember thinking what a bold and brave statement she had made. When others stepped up to the plate and started showing some pride for their own well-earned scars and well-worn bodies, I began thinking there was something kinda powerful in the works, something poignant in the wind. Anyway, I asked her to come give you a little more insight into the background of this phenomenon while I do my daily jibber-jabber over at her place.


Exposing Myself

Hey there Jack Sh*ters -- I, Mish from Eating Journey, am honoured to be discussing the Exposed Movement with you here.

Jack Sh*t is where I constantly go to for inspiration, laughs, insight, and modified song lyrics :) He, me and many others have been on a weight-loss journey. I have lost over 100lbs and at one point was 30lbs lighter than I currently am. In 2009 I saw the scale creep back up and my self-confidence plummet.

I hated the way that I looked.

Then I started thinking, this is sh*t and I don't want to feel this way about myself anymore. That's when I posted this picture and called it Exposed.



It was meant for me, my little following, but more importantly as a symbolic beginning of loving the body that I had spent a year hating. Then people all over the blog world... and I quite literally mean the world... asked if they could be a part of it.

If they to could expose themselves.

There are now 30 people who have Exposed themselves in all different ways. All with stories of what their bodies have done for them. What they love about their bodies. How their bodies have given to others.
When people ask: How do I do this? I respond with: Take a picture of your body and either write on it or write below it--share your story

We live in a world where perfection isn't real. Where the unattainable is robbing us of the true beauty and power that our bodies give us each and everyday. When I look back at the night when I pressed 'publish' (sweating, shaking and thinking 'should i delete it') I am thankful that I finally gave my body the praise it deserved.

When people ask: What do you want the Exposed Movement to become? I respond with: A place where people find a place in their own personal journey to perhaps love a little more on themselves, to open up to their partner by becoming more open and loving with their body. Where negative self-talk is turned down and those little phrases are quieted in little kid's minds. Where someone... if they feel so inclined... exposes themselves.

I don't care how many people expose themselves. The current 30, maybe 100, maybe 1,000. All I care about is that one person walks away with the chains of negative self-talk, body image, binging being broken down.

May you find a little more love for what your body is, what it does and what it's done for you. It's a grassroots movement where the stories of those who have exposed themselves are testaments of immense strength, vulnerability and healing.

33 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me come over and corrupt your little space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Thank you for sharing this. I'm going to do a post with a picture my fat ass body this weekend. All the stretch marks from carrying three babies and all that goes along with that will be exposed. There's no reason why I can't be proud of my body thus far. It's gotten me through a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Before I started blogging, I had almost no pictures of myself - I was too ashamed of my size. Then, little by little, I started exposing myself. And it was not so bad!

    After birthing and nursing four babies, and yo-yo dieting most of my life, my body is battle-scarred indeed. Maybe its time to label the good things my body has done for me and for others.

    Now here's a question - could you have exposed yourself before the 100 pounds were gone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so been enjoying seeing these pictures. Though I am not at the place where I can be exposed, they do give me hope that one day, before I die, I will learn to love myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Gen that's a very interesting question. I think the answer would be yes. I'll tell you why. Cause when I was heavy I didn't care what I looked like to be honest. I almost walked around with a complex 'those skinny people'. However, if you had asked me a year prior to that when I was heavily dieting..I would have said now.

    The ironic and said thing, is that as I've lost weight I've become increasingly aware of my imperfections...until recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic bait and switch! I am thankful all the time for finding Michelle and her blog! How fun to watch the Exposed movement grow.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Michelle! This is an amazing tribute to our bodies, our loveliness, and how the two are emotionally linked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait a minute....Jack..is this just a way to get your 750+ readers to strip? :) (I already do somewhat.....so, make that 749)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Michelle. I'm going to add your blog to my daily read. You can check out my blog at: http://losingweightafter45isabitch.blogspot.com/

    And, thank you Jack for giving Michelle the space.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great message Michelle! I'm hopeful one day I can get to the acceptance stage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For all that I try to be a strong woman...I can't do this. I commend all that do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the switch- I've heard of the EXPOSED movement but did not really know where it originated. :) Thanks for the guest post Michelle- off to go follow YOUR blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really wish I could do this..but I dunno. It takes a TON of courage. I'm still considering it, because I really have been inspired by the movement. :)

    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this series but I'm afraid I just couldn't do it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I exposed myself!!!

    http://losingweightafter45isabitch.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-body-myself.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great post. I am very guilty of putting down myself because of my perceived flaws. I really should focus more on what I CAN do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for starting this Michelle. I've seen all the blogs in the last couple of months and I am tempted to let it all out as well. If I can't post it here, I can post it at home as a reminder of what my body has done for me.... give it a little appreciation for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been mulling over the idea for awhile now. I first learned about it on the "We are the Real Deal" site. I don't know how to write in the comments, so I've put off doing it. Gotta get my butt in gear and do it!

    Thanks for the wonderful initiative!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful post. I do not see myself ever having the courage to "expose" though I wish I was at a place I did.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen this movement before on other blogs and I think it is amazing everytime! I may expose myself as I move down the scale a little more.

    But still... all of the people who have done this or are doing this now... they are so inspirational. Truly brave spirits!

    ~Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the switch - I didn't know where the exposed "movement" had come from! Michelle, I'm looking forward to following your blog now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am offically exposed now....thanks Jack and Michelle. :)

    http://bigbottomblogger.blogspot.com/2010/01/exposed.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. "We live in a world where perfection isn't real. Where the unattainable is robbing us of the true beauty and power that our bodies give us each and everyday."

    That was beautiful. Thank for for starting this lovely movement among bloggers and encouraging people to accept and love their bodies the way the are.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You rock. I've loved the exposed thing. I'm just a little hesitant to post it on my blog as I work in a male-dominated industry and my blog does have loose ties to that - I'm afraid it would be taken as sexual, not self-love.

    However, I do pour my heart and soul out into my entries, and I am learning about looking in the mirror and seeing capable, strong, and beautiful and not extra skin, belly pooch, and upper inner thigh poof. I'm getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved this line: All I care about is that one person walks away with the chains of negative self-talk, body image, binging being broken down.

    You are amazing!

    Jack, thx for the guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Simply lovely. Thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post! I love this idea. I'm not sure I'm able to expose bare skin, but I'm sure I can find a clothes picture to use. This is a timely post since I hit a bump in the road. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  29. love, love,love this! thank you!
    emily
    http://helpemilylose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a nice way to love yourself....good post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this post..went to visit you site but can't figure out how to follow..I know it's late but help

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great blog you have here. Very inspirational. I have a site as well which I hope will be a top resource for those looking for the motivation they need in order to lose weight. There are very little sites like ours out there.

    I'd like to exchange links with you. Please let me know if this is possible under the "Best Weight Loss Websites" page. Until then, keep up the good work.

    Jason
    4Weight2Lose.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love Mish and her movement. I'm still in the process of making my Exposed post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails