Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New You!


This is my very first January 1st as a rootin’-tootin’ weight-loss blogger, so I’m guessing that it’s kinda, sorta like being in a gym right after New Year’s. There’s a lot of new blood, lots of proclamations of a new day dawning, lots of new faces stern with newborn commitment and freshly minted determination.

You have decided to finally do this, because this is a new day, a new year, a new you. You’re screwing up your courage and making your game plan. You’re scouring the internet for resources to aid you in what’s sure to be an epic struggle, and somehow… inexplicably… you’ve found yourself right here, right now.

Allow me to introduce myself: I go by the name Jack Sh*t (the “*” is silent), and there’s good news and bad news about what I have to offer by way of assistance on your trek. The good news is that I have some tremendously useful advice to impart to you that I believe will really be applicable in helping you on your own weight-loss journey. The bad news? You’re going to have to sift through a lot of stupid jokes, song parodies and Braveheart-style speeches in order to find it.

Awhile ago, during his presidential campaign, Barack Obama was seated next to a little girl on an airplane trip back to Washington. He turned to her and said, “Let's talk. Flights tend to go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.”

The little girl, who had just opened her book, closed it slowly and asked, “What would you like to talk about?”

“Oh, I don't know,” said Obama. “How about what changes I should make to America?” and he smiles.

“OK,” she says. “But let me ask you something first: a horse, a cow and a deer all eat the same grass. Yet the deer excretes little pellets, the cow turns out a flat patty and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?”

Obama, visibly surprised by the little girl’s question, thinks about it for a second and finally says, “Hmmm, I have no idea.”

To which the little girl replies, “Do you really feel qualified to change America when you don't know sh*t?”

My point is, when you get down to brass tacks, I don’t know sh*t. I’m not a medical professional, I’m not a nutritionist. I’m not a scientist, a personal trainer or a dietician. I’ve accomplished what I’ve managed to accomplish… roughly 90 pounds down in eight and a half months, by simply eating less, eating a little healthier and exercising more.

Elaborate? Don’t mind if I do…

Eat less. I don’t count calories, but I have a pretty good sense of how much I’m eating during a day. That’s the key to it, I think. Being mindful of what you put in your mouth and why you do it. As it turns out, many of the reasons I was eating… entertainment, boredom, emotions, habit, stress management… had nothing whatsoever to do with hunger. And slooooooooooooow down with that fork, Chester. Maybe if you’d pace yourself a little when you eat, you’ll find you don’t always have to clear your plate and every serving dish on the table before you find yourself full.

Eat a little healthier. I was talking to someone at a party a couple of weeks ago. She was going on and on about how much weight I’d lost, and how she hadn’t managed to lose hers even though she exercised fairly regularly. I imparted to her one of the lessons I’ve learned along the way; I can go out to eat once a week and, if I make semi-reasonable choices, I can still lose weight. More than that, and it’s really an uphill climb just to maintain. There are a few strong folks who I’m sure can do better than me, who only eat half of an entrée or order the miser salad with tap-water dressing. Still, I stand by my argument because when you eat out, you lose control of what goes into what you eat… how much salt, how much fat, how much sugar. It’s much easier to just say “what the hell?” and start down that slippery slope when you’ve got a menu in your hands. At home, it may not be as fun or exciting, but it allows you more of an opportunity to stay under control.

Exercise more. For me, exercising in some form or fashion almost every day is the linchpin to the entire production. I try to get in 45 minutes of something strenuous... cardio, strength-training, shoplifting... six days a week. When I’m exercising, I’m thinking about what I eat in terms of how much exercise it will take to burn it off. Want a donut? Sure, but you’ll have to run on the elliptical for 40 minutes. Sound like a fair trade? One tip that helps me tremendously is to pack a gym bag the night before. It makes me about 10,000% more likely to actually go if I don’t have to gather my things in a hectic, blurry-eyed, running-behind morning.

That’s it! That’s the entire playbook. Follow it half-assedly and you can lose a little weight. Follow it more stringently and you can make some magic happen on that scale.

And take heed from someone who’s closer to the end of his weight-loss journey than the beginning: all the time and effort, all the dedication and sacrifice, all the blood, sweat and tears (okay, maybe not the “blood” so much) is nothing compared to the sense of satisfaction and empowerment you will feel when you’ve achieved your goals.

This journey can change your life.

YOU can change your life.

It's time to do this...

48 comments:

  1. Back to basics, keep on keeping on. My personal theme for 2010. Thanks for the reminder Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack - what a year this has been for all of us.
    Thanks for being part of it!
    *sigh*
    Onward and downward, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring! I didn't realize that shoplifting counted as strenuous activity, but I'll take your word for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You break it down and it's really not that hard. (In theory) I love reading your blog - it's smart, uplifting, and very funny!

    I hope 2010 is the best one yet for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happen to LOVE tap water dressing! That really cracked me up, and I actually called my husband in to read it to him. Thanks for all your wisdom Jack. You're right - it's not rocket science, and I like your 3 prong approach that is fairly bare bones. Now if I can just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jack! A daily dose of your blog is also beneficial for someone trying to get in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eat less, move more. It actually works. Recently my doctor asked me what I was doing to lose weight and I gave him that response. The DOCTOR said, "Really? Thats it? I know we tell people that, but I've never heard of it working."

    My response..."Then people aren't really doing it."

    Happy New Year Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Jack, Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual another great post!

    Happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Jack! Have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy new year Jack!

    but, uh, don't call me Chester.

    ReplyDelete
  12. See? You're much nicer when you're not on the sauce. Happy New Year, Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are the big 3 things, Jack. Thanks for pointing them out.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  14. You rock! I think you know a heck of a lot of sh*t! It's pretty basic, you just need to do it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great pep talk with all the basic knowledge anyone needs to drop weight! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 2010, time to wipe the slate clean snd get back to square one. We all know how to do this. . . so let's!

    Here's to 2010!


    Julia
    jewliagoulia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Jack. I'm ready to make slow and steady changes in 2010. I'll keep reading for the tips and inspiration. Please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny, I just wrote a post about my husband whose weight loss advice was just the same. Men! You all think alike ;)

    Congrats on your wonderful accomplishment this year and your basic, but sound advice.

    It's time to do this...
    LET'S ROLL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOOT! I feel like I just got a peep talk!


    And the difference between you and Obama....is that you have admitted that you don't know sh*t and he never will.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. The method works, now how to package it into a huge money-making machine?

    Oh, well, failing that, lets bottle up that scrummy-sounding salad dressing and flog that instead!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tap water dressing. LOL. Great post Jack and so true. The journey can be life changing. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jack, I don't even know what to say.. it is all there in your post! It is not rocket science BUT it is hard work, commitment & more!

    This is so true: all the time and effort, all the dedication and sacrifice, all the blood, sweat and tears (okay, maybe not the “blood” so much) is nothing compared to the sense of satisfaction and empowerment you will feel when you’ve achieved your goals.

    You done good Jack!!!!!

    PS: sent you an "e" with a big SORRY!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a good plan. Good luck in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well now I want to go and lose a ton of weight just 'cause that post was so darn inspiring. And the joke was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is brilliant! Thanks so much. It's really encouraging and just what I needed to read as I start my own journey towards healthier living this year. I hope by this time next year I can say I'm 90 pounds down too. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very common sense, no nonsense post Jack. Happy New year to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. It really does comes down to eating less and moving more.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year Jack! Thanks for making me laugh and sticking around :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's such a simple equation. We just have to DO it.

    I had a good little chuckle over the Obama joke.

    ReplyDelete
  30. HNY Jack Sh*t! Great post, as usual. Love the Obama joke.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have inspired me to lose weight as well!

    If only this was 2008

    ReplyDelete
  32. Many thanks for the reminder of getting back to the basics, which really does work if one actually does it! Thanks for my daily pep talk.
    Happy 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Why is something so "simple" soooooo difficult sometimes?

    Thanks for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey, I heard it was a California congressman, not Obama. . . guess there are little girls talking sh*t on a lot of planes. . .

    90 lbs in 8 1/2 months. . . not bad, not bad at all.

    The two specific insights--packing the bag and eating out no more than once--probably took you longer to figure out than it seemed so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You know how to motivate!

    Happy New Year Jack! I look forward to all those great posts that I know you will write in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Not gonna lie...that is the best conversation I've ever heard!

    ~WM

    ReplyDelete
  37. All right Jack.
    What's this eat less and exercise crap you keep hawking?!
    Who do you think you are anyway?
    The sh*t.
    I have a message for all of your readers.
    There are magic pills that fall from the sky on New years eve....eat them and bam! lose forty pounds in a month*

    *May cause diarrhea, vomiting, kidney failure, a prolapsed uterus and on rare occasions...the sprouting of a third eye, results not typical.

    ReplyDelete
  38. All the best for 2010, Jack! Happy New You, too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy new years Jack! As always, you make some awesome points. This year is it for me, so i'll be over here for your wise words of humourous wisdom a lot more often :o)

    ReplyDelete
  40. First visit here! I will be coming back for more. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy New Year! And thank you for reminding me to think about food as an energy source, not just something that taste good but could totally be unhealthy for me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails