Saturday, November 7, 2009

Reversing It

Welcome to "Same Old Sh*t" Saturday, where I repackage some older posts and pawn it off as something new and original. A lot of my posts get their start on the elliptical or on the stationary bike at the gym. I'm chugging along, my mind wandering, and I'll hit on something that I think is interesting. If the thought stays with me all the way through my workout, shower and trip back to the office, then I take it and run with it (if I can). You'd be surprised at how many posts I start and can't get enough traction to finish. Anyway, this one stuck around for over a month, just because I liked the idea but couldn't seem to make it work. Then, late one night, I came back to it and finished it in about twenty minutes. Sometimes that's the way it goes. This one did get a very nice reaction.

I will always be fat
And I refuse to believe that
I can lose this weight
I do
I realize that isn’t the way most people think but
“Eating to live instead of living to eat”
That’s just not working out, and I truly believe
Eating what I want will make me happier in the end
It’s just a big fat lie, thinking
Being fit is the most important thing in my life
Now I understand that
Making myself happy with food
Is more important than
Making myself healthy with food
And this much is true:
People are succeeding at losing weight every day
But I know in my heart this will not be the case for me
This could wind up killing me
Doctors tell me
I will shorten my life and steal time away from my family
Right now it doesn’t seem possible that
I can change my ways and be fit for the rest of my life
This is what I believe:
This journey is just too tough for me
I don’t want to even consider the fact that
I can control the causes of my shortcomings and my failings
It’s just a fact of life that
People like me are weak-willed and lazy
And it’s ridiculous to believe that
I will lose weight and be healthy

That’s how I used to think; then I chose to reverse it (read from the bottom up).

37 comments:

  1. Oh I love this. Yep, you really gotta reserve the way you think and function for this to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *reverse ahah that's what I meant, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many challenges in life are about what we think. Love how you can read it from the bottom up. Great before and after pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this because it's kind of a physical demonstration of the rollercoaster we're always on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it - positive thinking leads to positive results. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have definitely said many of those phrases throughout my dieting career. Glad to be reversing those, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack, I consider this to be an amazing piece. And by amazing, I mean brilliant. And by brilliant, I mean I totally wish I would have written it myself. Because that would mean that I was really smart and doing something right.

    Thanks for choosing this one to pull out today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent, and very creative. If you don't write for a living now you might want to give it a go!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. This was very inspiring and great to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just as great the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really, really like this. It really is brilliant. I didn't see it the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That seriously gave me chills when I reversed it!
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Way to be creative and really think outside the box. You're a great inspiration Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen this one before but I enjoyed reading it again. I wish my brain could work like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had not seen this but so good! So much of this is mental & changing the way we think!

    Great stuff Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome! what a good way to help change the way you think about losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not to get overly emotional but this brought tears to my eyes. Reading it downward just hit home and then reading up...inspiring and moving and so what I needed to read at this point. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jack,
    This was the one I printed out and put on the fridge.
    Glad to see these older posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that was one of the coolest things I've ever read. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is way cool Jack. I love Same Old Sh*t Saturdays.

    One of the best reasons to exercise: time to think up things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this post the first time around and so glad that you posted it today!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this the first time and I think I love it even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is the first time I have read this, and no lie. It gave me chills! thank you so much... i needed this today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome. Very true. It's all what we chose to think, isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. At first reading it, it didn't really sink in until you said to read it backwards. Yup! That is so cool. That is definitely an awesome post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a clever post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Plain and simple....I LOVE your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Totally clever. Sometimes it's all there, you just need to squint at it the right way, huh? ;) Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  30. DUDE, I LOVE THIS! Very, very cool. Thanks for this, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for the sharing this post,
    Very cool!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails