Monday, January 11, 2016

The Misgiving Tree

Once there was a tree...and she loved a not-so-little boy.

And every day the boy would come and he would gather her leaves and make them into crowns and play king of the forest.

He would climb up her trunk and swing from her branches and eat apples.

And they would play hide-and-go-seek.

And when he was tired, he would sleep in her shade.

And the boy loved the tree ... very much.

And the tree was happy.

But time went by.

And the boy grew wider.

And the tree was often alone.

Then one day the boy came to the tree and the tree said, “Come, Boy, come and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches.”

“I don’t really feel like exercising,” said the not-so-little boy.

“Come sit in my shade and eat apples,” said the tree calmly.

“Do you have any Doritos?” asked the not-so-little boy.

“Sloth and junk food are a terrible combination,” remarked the tree. “You best check yourself before you wreck yourself.”

“I don’t really have time to sit around and talk with trees,” said the not-so-little boy. “I want a snack and those shows I DVR’ed aren’t going to binge-watch themselves.”


The tree shrugged, and a fairly large limb fell from way up high and conked the not-so-little boy on the noggin.

And the tree was happy.


3 comments:

  1. lol! For a second there I thought the ending was gonna end like a normal children's book. I should have known better. More stories, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be missing the point, but I always felt this story was WAY one-sided. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails