I read quite a few weight loss blogs, and a familiar song on quite a few of them seems to be “I want to lose weight, but I don’t want to quit living my life.”
What does that mean? That means they want to continue going out to eat when they want. It means they want to have a few drinks with their friends when they want. It means they want to have a slice of birthday cake and maybe a bit of ice cream on the side without stressing out about it. They want to have fun.
I like restaurant meals a great deal, and I’ve thrown back more than my share at the bar with buddies. I generally have a good time in those instances, but can I tell you what’s really fun?
- Fun is slipping on a pair of pants you couldn’t get into two months ago.
- Fun is seeing an old friend and having them on and on about your weight loss.
- Fun is playing with your kids without losing your breath.
- Fun is overhearing co-workers marvel over how good you’re doing.
- Fun is watching the scale dip past another 10-lb. mark... and then another one...
- Fun is looking in the mirror and admiring the simple beauty of a sweat-soaked t-shirt.
- Fun is going to the doctor and having him or her pat you on the back over your progress.
- Fun is reading older blog entries and seeing just how far you’ve come.
- Fun is succeeding on this journey and knowing that it was you... all you... that got it done.
But compared to those other things, I’ll take my “fun” list any day of the week.