Friday, January 14, 2011

Sea of Possibilities

So there you are, in your little boat, bobbing along in the middle of a vast, seemingly endless ocean.

Some days the wind catches your sails and scoots you along, making your journey easy and effortless. It doesn’t even seem like work as you breezily skip across the water, enjoying the salt air and sunshine.

Most days, however, your progress doesn’t come that easy. More likely, it depends on you sticking your oars in the water and rowing for all you are worth.

And some days the waves will push you away from where you want to go. That doesn’t seem quite fair, I know, but the ocean makes its own rules.

And every day, you’ll have to decide…

Should I turn back?

Am I content going nowhere?

Will I give in?

Right now, it may seem that your goal is forever-and-a-day away. You’re lost and alone and the challenge ahead of you seems so large and intimidating.

But remember this: you had the courage and commitment to strike out to sea. You crossed huge hurdles and passed through severe storms.

You’ve made it this far.

Spotting dry land may take months, may take years, but if the course you’ve plotted is true, then one day –– and maybe one day soon –– you’ll make it to where you’re headed and be strengthened by the experience all the more.

Your hopes, your dreams, your goals… they’re out there, within grasp if you power through and persevere. Each day that you keep pushing forward, each day that you stay pointed in the right direction... well, it's one day closer to your goal.

Bon voyage.


“A ship in port is safe, but that's 
not what ships are built for.”

–Grace Hopper

Enhanced by Zemanta

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love that last quote. It's exactly what I needed today.

    My body was made for movement, not sitting on the couch. I need to make it happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy, and the encouraging post!

    "And some days the waves will push you away from where you want to go. That doesn’t seem quite fair, I know, but the ocean makes its own rules.

    And every day, you’ll have to decide…'

    SO true, everyday only WE can decide! Thanks Jack :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. Loved it. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blessed me today, as I begin my weight loss journey. There is a hymn, "Pull for the Shore", that is running through my mind now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I needed this today after two not so stellar days....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you, Jack. I needed this today. This and for Little Debbie to burn in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankfully even in the storm you know that land does lie ahead as long as you keep on going.

    My achilles heel is the cold weather. I tend to want to eat more and move way less than normal. Texas allows for less of those days but this week has been killing me. It has been a struggle just to do the minimum required. I've been fighting tooth and nail to keep the eating under control. Thankfully land and warmer temps are in sight this weekend with the rise into the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to rowing for all we're worth. And that's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I would've read this before I posted my post for the day. Cuz...I'm major discouraged today, but I'm still just rowing and rowing.

    Thanks for posting. It'll help me get through the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jack, I needed this. I've been feeling a bit adrift and fatigued by this process. This helped me alot. Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post so much! Well said.

    @MelGetsFit

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wow. I can't stop re-reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. So true. Well put.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent points. I've hit a rough patch lately, but I'm already out to sea. Might as well keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Jack, exactly what I needed to read today. "Each day that you keep pushing forward, each day that you stay pointed in the right direction... well, it's one day closer to your goal." - This is going on my motivation board.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the quote, will be using it today for sure!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails