Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Happy Sh*tiversary

So there I was, feeling both sorry and sorry for myself. It was Easter Sunday of '09 and I was having a much overdue come-to-Jesus with myself about where I was going with my life, my health and my future.

I wasn't healthy and I wasn't happy, and I had a sneaking suspicion that the two things were intertwined.

I can't even tell you how I stumbled upon the world of weight loss and healthy living blogs. All I can tell you is that I was immediately and inexplicably smitten.

What I liked best was the fact that you could backtrack through someone's journey, see the person they were, the progress they had made and the brand new person they were on their way to becoming.

Like most bloggers, I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I began. Maybe that's blogging's real charm. We don't need to know what we're doing; we just need to do it.

I'm a clown at heart, so my site evolved into a space that doesn't often take itself very seriously. I'm sure that I turn some folks off with my approach, but that's the beauty of this business: this is "my" approach. This is the way I do it, and if it doesn't float your boat... well, I'll gladly refund your admission.

But make no mistake: reclaiming my health and building a positive future is as serious as an I-don't-want-to-have-a-heart-attack. I may be fun-and-games on here more often than not, but I mean business when and where it counts.

Two years ago today, I took my first tentative step down this healthy living road. My route has had twists and turns, to be sure, but I'm still here, still putting one foot in front of the other and still following a roadmap that has no timetable and no final destination.

Thanks to everyone who's shared part of my journey, whether it's been for a single step or for untold miles. Please know that I appreciate your patronage and participation more than I can even express. Some days, your silly or supportive comments, emails and messages are all that keep my train on the track.

I'm not going to say that I couldn't do it without you, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do it without you.

No one knows what the future may hold, but this is my plan: I want to keep doing what I'm doing, try to push you to keep doing what you're doing and maybe, just maybe, slide a fart joke in there from time to time.



Two years down... forever to go.



30 comments:

  1. Okay, you can do the fart jokes, but leave the SHART jokes to me.

    Happy blogiversary, Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! And I hope your approach never changes - we NEED a blog that is more light-hearted, and not just a daily list of food eaten and minutes spent on an elliptical. There's always at least a nugget or two of truth in even your silliest posts, and you make people laugh - that makes people happy, and that's a far more productive mindset for losing weight than endless doom and gloom!

    *sits and waits patiently for fart joke*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being the kickass dude you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two years already? And to think I knew you when...

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats, happy blogday :)

    I think that is my favorite part or one of them..being able to look back

    ReplyDelete
  6. So the two year gift is toilet paper, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's celebrate with CAKE!

    Sh*t. Did I say cake? I meant SALAD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy day, Jack!
    Let's all meet up at Jack In The Box!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! I love coming to your blog you never fail to make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bow to your sh*tiness Jack, keep inspiring and keep making us smile! Happy Sh*tiverasry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, because there is no ONE right way to do ANYTHING! And I think if we try to do it someone else's way we burnout, because it just doesn't fit. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Sh*tiversary! *throws confetti*

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2 years?!?!? I think I found you somewhere around your third post! I'm so happy to have you in my life and thanks for sticking around and always cheering me on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It doesn't seem like it's already been two years. Wow, time flies.

    Happy blogiversary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy 2 years! can't wait til your 50th sh*tiversay. can you imagine? we'll all be fit old folks still blogging away, making recipes with prunes and weighing ourselves without our dentures in. (omg i just depressed myself in a comment that was supposed to be uplifting LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well dang, Jack. I sang to you already, now you're making me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Im so glad I found your blog Jack and glad we inspire you as much as you inspire us! And make us LOL and giggle and chortle. I chortle a lot whilst reading your blog :-D Huggssss

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Sh*tiversary!

    You do make the journey a whole lot more fun and a whole lot less lonely.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post Jack, says it all.

    This bit here is the essence of blogging.

    "What I liked best was the fact that you could backtrack through someone's journey, see the person they were, the progress they had made and the brand new person they were on their way to becoming."

    You know I ♥ your blog.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Sh*tiversary! Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are an Adonis amongst non-Adonis'. Thanks for making your space here and inviting us all to join you in it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Sh*tiversary Jack!!! I have enjoyed reading your blog...the ups, the downs, the laughs, the tears (they were mine).

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Sh*tiversary Sh*tty!
    My favorite post to date is the one about your trip to Mexico and being to fat to surf. I think that's the first one I read and i cried because I was always the girl sitting on the beach in shorts and a tshirt in the middle of paradise wasting my life being fat. Whether its your hilarious song rewrites or serious stuff, you inspire daily. Don't ever quit, Jack Sh*t. You're awesome and greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Two amazingly creative years... congratulations, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have an incredible gift for making the potentially mundane and disheartening witty, intriguing, and hopeful. Thanks for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on your two year blogiversary!

    I'm sure the rest of us wouldn't know what to do here without the fart jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm pretty sure there's never been a boat you didn't float. You are a total inspiration and I know we are all so grateful for what you do here. Happy Sh*tversary.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jack, Jack!!! That's so awesome!! I LOVE that you celebrate your sh*taversary... :D I do too. :)

    My 2 year "fitaversary" was in November! (http://www.kelseytoney.com/2010/11/happy-2nd-fitaversary-to-me/) and I can barely even IMAGINE that it is possible that I've been doing this as long as I have.

    I have to say that your blog, is truly one of a kind. And not in the albino-troll-cousin kind of way, but genuinely FRESH, and perfect. :D Thank you so much for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails