Thursday, April 8, 2010

The C25K Kid Rides Again

Technically, that’s not true… the “riding” part anyway. It was more like… well… it was kind of like running. Actually, it was almost exactly like running.

I was a little discombobulated as I got ready to begin week two of C25K. I punched up my iPhone app and got going, feeling good and strong. A few minutes later, I realized that I’d actually launched a Texas Hold ‘Em app and I’d lost $3,000. Oh well, easy come and easy go.

Speaking of easy go, I hate to admit it, but the second leg of this nonsense actually seemed easier than the previous outings. The running portion extended out to 90 seconds, which didn’t seem too much worse than the one-minute torture tracks of last week.

But the two-minute breaks in between runs? Fan-walking-tastic!

Plus, my 11-year-old daughter Pisa took her bike out to keep me company. She thought it was hee-larious to wait until I took off running and then scream past me, laughing like a banshee.

Running along behind her takes me back a year and a half or so when I was teaching her to ride her bicycle. She was late to the party, and that kid just couldn’t seem to get the hang of it.

She and I finally decided one weekend that it was time to do this thing. We’d tried a before, and Pisa just had trouble fully committing to the idea that she wouldn’t crash and burn if she kept pedaling. She’d get going good, then freak completely out (sort of like me on a dance floor).

We finally hit on the idea of me running behind her, holding on to the back of her seat to keep her steady. She was gold as long as she knew I was holding her up. Yes, I had become human training wheels.

Finally, I just let go and kept running with her, hands off the seat but yelling “I’m holding on! I’m holding on!” I quit running only when I simply couldn’t keep up anymore. She figured out I wasn't holding on, and immediately crashed and burned. However, she realized that she'd actually gone 20 feet on her own, and that accomplishment spurred her on to new heights that day. A half hour later, she was riding like a pro.

We raced by that spot on our C25K jaunt the other day, and I had to smile… and keep running.

30 comments:

  1. I started week 2 today as well and felt the same way, it did seem easier than week 1! Definitely not complaining though :)

    Enjoy running with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Story! Like most things in life, it's easier when you know you have someone behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well done! Such a top feeling. Maybe download a beep fitness test too? To see if you can beat yourself? (Well done to your daughter too. We have our eldest trying without training wheels too.....it is hard!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, sweet story. But C25K week four? Umm, worse than yesterday's hoo-hah spinning post. Way way worse. Like, run 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, run 5 minutes. Be afraid. Very, very afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story brought tears to my eyes. It took me back to my youth and my dad teaching me how to ride my bike.

    My husband taught my then 5 year old last year how to ride a bike, he learned in 1 1/2 hour and Peter couldn't move for a week :-)

    Great job Jack, so proud of you, just keep putting one foot infront of the other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well damn, this post made me cry, too, lol. I remember when my dad taught me how to ride...and you know my dad can't walk anymore...so this one really got me...but in an endearing way. Thanks for the great memories Jack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet post! We're doing the whole "human training wheels" thing with our two youngest right now.

    Great job hanging in there with the c25k program!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post once again. I am trying to teach my almost 7 year old and my 5.5 year old to ride their bikes without training wheels... never thought about me being their "wheels".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the laughing like a banshee visual! Great post. I'm re-doing week 1 of C25K. I can't face the 90 seconds of running yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to know there is someone that has your back. It's even better to know that you can do something on your own.
    Great post.
    Have fun with C25K. I know you'll kick it's a$$.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I swear.... this is unbelievable, but you will get to where you like this running thing!! Keep it up!

    WeighDownSouth.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the post! So inspirational....yet I just had to laugh at the mental picture of your daughter flying by you as you churn away on your jogging segments....laughter wafting through the air! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a sneaky feeling you're going to become addicted to this thing we call.... running :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Week 2 as well. Loved the story about your daughter - reminds me of ME :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww ... I love stories about Pisa! Did she also realize that you had hit "the spot"? I was at my best friend's grandmothers when I finally got the whole bike-riding-deal under control. It's now a WalMart, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post!! I need to step it up with all of you runners.

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome story! i bet your daughter is loving riding with you as you run. it's a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  18. AW, sweet story! I have a deal worked out now where my almost-13 year old pushes the 3 year old in a stroller while walking the dog, and I run ahead of them. It makes me feel so speedy! ;)

    Keep it up with the C25k. Have you read John Bingham's books or his column in Runner's World? You might relate. I actually went running with him once. Or, rather, "waddling," as he calls it. (He is also known as "the Penguin").

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is very sweet, Jack. What a nice peak at you as a father.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You put a huge smile on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had a very similar experience with teaching my 11 year old daughter to ride a bike last weekend.

    It's good this having the young one getting involved with your exercise too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. :) I love this post. What a great memory of your daughter and her bike. Makes me wish I had kids sometimes. Anyway, now I'm just getting sappy. Hope your day is great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post! Brings back memories of when my boys were small. I did W2D1 today, too! It really wasn't so bad, except for the headwind on intervals 2 and 4. Then I got smart and took a different path for 6....much better! Can't wait till Saturday for D2

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jack, are you going to do Tony's (anti-jared) and Jen's (prior fat girl) challenge on april 20th?

    huh? huh? huh?

    ReplyDelete
  25. My mom taught me. She shoved me down a hill.
    I hit her car.
    She shoved me down the hill again..I missed her car and hit a tree...one more time and i got it...I didn't want to hit anything else.
    lol.
    great story Jack.
    Now you could run her up the street and back a few times I would imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great story! It won't be long and my little terror will be wanting a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great story! I taught myself to ride a bike by myself, without training wheels. It was a little too big for me, and didn't have a place for training wheels, so it like, guess I better learn to ride. I smashed my forehead up good in the process, but all turned out well. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails