Tuesday, April 27, 2010

3 Simple Steps

I've always been mighty impressed at how Tricia from Endurance Isn't Only Physical transformed herself from "big and beautiful" to just simply "beautiful." Likewise, I've always been slightly in awe of the wonderful way she has of getting right to the heart of things on her blog.

However, the thing that makes me madder than Mary Kate Olsen in an all you can eat buffet about Tricia is that she wised up while she was still a young woman. When I was her age, I was still miles and miles away from getting it, not realizing that every stroke I was swimming out to see was one I'd have to dog-paddle back from.

Seeing as how I've been suffering from a pretty severe case of the Spring Sillies, I asked Tricia to stop by and serious this space up a little for me. She came through with this terrific guest post...


I spend a lot of time writing and talking about living healthy. In fact, I lay up at night trying to come up with ways to convey to people my passion. So a few weeks ago I wrote what I considered to be a pretty profound post. Here is what I had to say:

Everything I believe about healthy living can be summed up in three simple steps: 




1. Eat good food,



2. Eat it in appropriate portions,




3. And move your body. 





Ok, maybe that's not the most original thing you've ever heard but it does truly get to the root of how I try to live. The problem with that post was that I followed it up with a picture of my ridiculously adorable 6 month old nephew, smiling the most heart melting smile ever.

And people totally missed the message.
I know you're now expecting me to include that picture, but I refuse to make the same mistake twice. Don't post cute baby pictures if you are trying to say something serious. Lesson learned.

Instead, I'd like to try something different.
If I showed you this picture:

And then this one:



And told you those were only taken a year apart....would I get your attention?

I thought so. Those two pictures are the proof behind those 3 simple things. When I started my journey January 5th of last year I honestly didn't know what to expect. I had been obese my entire adult life, I had tried everything from pills to fad diets to starvation. And nothing worked. So when I hit upon the idea that I would "eat less and move more" it really seemed more like a cliché than a valid way to live. But I vowed to give it a try. AND IT WORKED.

So how do you implement those steps? I realized early on in the process that I was dreading the decision of what to eat, I felt like I was doomed to fail. I had to make a huge shift mentally to focus on the positive. So now I look at each meal as an opportunity to SUCCEED. And I look at each meal separately. If I eat junk at one meal, that doesn’t mean I’ve “ruined” the whole day and can use it as an excuse to eat junk again. The next meal is another opportunity to eat well, and I make sure I take that opportunity and put it to good use. I use this same concept for the “move your body” part of my plan. Just take it one step, one healthy choice at a time. Those small steps add up to great things. (125 pounds lost counts as “great things”, right?)

And remember:

In the long run it doesn’t matter if you make a few bad decisions; what’s more important is making a lot of GOOD decisions.

What steps will you take to be healthy?

30 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you here! And whilst I have seen those pics before, they are still very inspiring......

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so true - having lost some weight myself people always look dismayed when I tell that the 'big secret' is to eat less and move more. Having said that, its very easy to say and not always easy to do!

    You've done amazingly well - very inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Tricia! You really do get the message across well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! That last sentence is really the key -- do it right 90% of the time, don't sweat the 10%.

    You look amazing Tricia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got your message both times I've read it :) That's really all there is to it - funny how such a "simple" thing can be so hard.

    Thanks to both of you for all you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started my journey and I already find myself getting frustrated, but your motto is solid. I will remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plus that sexy boot didn't hold you back. You are amazing Tricia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really is as simple as 3 steps. Why do we make it so hard?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Mr. Jack!

    I totally agree... it really IS that simple!

    Awesome reminder today! Thankyou!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay

    Thats an awesome shoutout to Tricia..she has done so much in a short period of time! Thanks for spotlighting her! Thanks for this reminder

    -Ashley over at http://gettingstrongerburningfat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jack.. thanks for the introduction to Tricia.. awesome! Tricia.. WOW!! and I'm with Jack - I wish I had done this when i was in my 20's.. HUGE Kudos to you! I look forward to reading your blog!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such simple words, but so difficult to follow. I'm with Tricia - If you eat the wrong thing or too much of it at this meal, get your mind in gear to do it right at the next meal (or snack).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Tricia's blog and she is so supportive of others out there that are fighting the good fight.
    Just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, yes, yes! Thank you Tricia and Jack. Keeping it simple and keeping at it will get you where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing weight loss really does come down to eat less, move more. I'm just now starting to get that. I started with a simple change in eating, a few months later started strength training 3x a week and after reading Jack's post the other day about C25K, I just started today with incorporating that in. Start slow and work you way up. Thanks Tricia, can't wait to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could not have said it better.... and all so true! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i just found tricia's blog a week or two ago and think she is awesome and an inspiration. thanks for sharing this really great post of hers.
    it's taken me decades, but i now do those three steps too and it feels great. it is a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks SO much for your post T! I have watched your transformation and it has been awesome AND inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you. :) I think the point of looking at each meal separately is a very strong point.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tricia is fabulous! Those three things are how I lost my 150 pounds! It's really pretty simple, but the emotions can be amazingly complex.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah trish! awesome.
    I love before and afters.
    And that is what I did...I ate less, exercised more.
    exercise makes me feel good.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love Tricia! Great post. I also think it's extremely important to focus on the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Point taken! Tricia rocks! She is an inspiration to follow your 3 guidelines!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well its the first time I read that message, and I think its a WONDERFUL one.. and I totally was not distracted by the kids. Nope. I live the message day in and day out (well for the most part) :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My steps: I am in a full fledged battle with the rest of my fat. It is eviction time...the notice has been posted and I'm going in with the SWAT team. You can stay posted on my blog...but I am not going to discuss my strategy until after the fact. I have put my strategy out there too many times then not quite accomplished what I had hoped. Secrecy is my friend this time. :) Results are what matter for me now. THEN, I'll talk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I REALLY needed this today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The equation to lose weight is quite simple. It's actually putting it in motion and keeping with it. It's more of a mental challenge than a physical one. I am fighting it everyday! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. First of all ... to Tricia ... A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS !!! for accomplishing what many of us have failed to do and that is to stick with it. I agree with Jack ... I wish I would've kept things in check when "I was your age" (FYI ... everyone thinks when they're young that they'll never say that ... lol)

    If I had some advice for anyone young it would be ... *Don't get fat!* and not just for vanity's sake, but for all the other reasons that make your life miserable when you're hauling around enough extra weight for another human being. I personally have wasted DECADES being obese. It's an exhausting way to live ... mentally, emotionally and physically. The sad part is that when I was in my 20's I wasn't THAT fat ... just about 20 pounds or so. I could've easily taken care of it then ... but didn't.

    I needed this post today, Jack. I've just been flip-flopping around and not zeroed in on my goal. I'm turning 50 this year. It's time to stop wasting more decades and begin living and not just existing and reliving the same day over and over again.

    Thanks.♥

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails