Sunday, June 27, 2010

Looking Ahead

Weekly weigh-in: 206.1
Loss: -0.3
Total loss: -86.7
Emotion: Steady as she goes

This guy pulls up into a gas station in the country, and asks the grizzled old gas station attendant, “What’re the people like in the next town up ahead?”

The attendant asks, “What were the people like in the town you just came from?”

“Awful people,” the guy responds. “Rude, cold, hostile, uncaring, unfriendly. They wouldn't give me the time of day.”

“Well,” says the attendant with a slight frown, “I’ve got bad news for you: that’s exactly the kind of people you’re going to find at the next town up ahead.”

A bit later, another driver pulls in, heading in the same direction as the first.

“What’re the folks like in the next town up ahead?” the second man asks.

The attendant poses the same question to him: “What were the people like in the town you just came from?”

“Wonderful people,” the second man responds. “Friendly, warm, helpful, patient, kind. They went out of their way to help a stranger.”

“Well,” smiled the attendant, “I'm happy to tell you that you're going to find exactly the same kind of people in the next town up ahead.”

If you think this weight-loss journey is going to be too difficult, is going to be next to impossible, then I’m sorry to tell you that you’re absolutely right.

If you think you’re strong enough to give it your full effort and attention, that you’ve got what it takes to fill your day with good choices and you’re ready to accomplish something extraordinary, then I’m happy to report that you’re absolutely right.

This is a good day to get going.

31 comments:

  1. Yup Jack - I think life is what you make it. To go all Biblical on you, I firmly believe we reap what we sow.

    I often despair of this journey I am on, but I shan't quit. I am not sure of my abilities to have good days, but I can try. Sometimes we just have to fire ourselves up because no one else is going to do it for us. It's hard to always accentuate the positive but if we stop trying we're done for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I was out with some friends last night that I haven't seen in a while. They noticed I was looking good so I told them about my new running goal. We had a good laugh because, well, this isn't the first time I've set out to accomplish it in the 10 years I've known them. My secret weapon this time: my attitude. ;)
    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. And more interestingly stated that Henry Ford.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I completely agree! Life is what you make of it and a positive attitude goes a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed that reminder. Thanks. It all seems to fall back into place when I remember that this is indeed a great ride and it's about the trip there and not the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another masterpiece Mr. Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why my tiny little changes are worth it. Thanks for helping on a down day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Losing weight is actually easy - its the lifestyle change that will kill you. But once you establish a lifelong plan you can live with and apply a positive attitude the pounds do come off. I started at 297 and am at 227.

    There are no bad days, just opportunities to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!! I'm not sure how long ago this happened, but I remember seeing someone write about "fighting the fight" and "winning the battle" and so on as it relates to weight loss and that's when it hit me: if I view this as a battle, a fight, a struggle, then it will be one. And I didn't want that for myself. It's probably taken me longer to get to where I want to be, but I feel a lot better for it. And more importantly, I know that I can sustain it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant post! Life is what you make of it and the same goes for the healthy journey you choose. I'm definitely like the second guy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your posts always seem to be timed just perfectly! I've been working on my attitude about other things in my life lately, but it actually hadn't dawned on me to work on it as far as my weight loss goals!
    Thanks for opening my eyes Jack :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could fit you in my pocket so when I felt like it wasn't working you could pop out and say amazing crap like this to me and keep me going LOL. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely perfect...perfectly true.

    My best always,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it. Attitude is EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are absolutely right Jack. It's all about getting your head in the right place. If you're mind is set then you'll succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I absolutely love this! Thank you sooo much, I really needed to hear it today! Congrats on your weight loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So true about so many things! And yes, what's good for us is usually good for weight loss, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh thanks for that! :) Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent post Jack...loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. How do you know what town I live in?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've definitely found this to be true. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got my good day going here, can't wait to tell the folks in the next town.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yep.... Like Andre Agassi says---- Attitude is everything!! But wait, wasn't he like doing blow everyday??

    Thanks Jack!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So very, very true! An excellent way to make a great point and perfect for today.

    Thanks Jack. Now I'm ready to face my workout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow. just what i needed after an awful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You might also enjoy this website that was created by two friends that are going to spend the next year of their lives trying to get fit. They are sharing their tips and experiences about not only exercise, but also R&R (Rest & Relaxation) and yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! Seriously, you are some kind of guru! lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yep. Life usually turns out exactly like you expect it to.

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW! Brilliant is certainly the word that comes to mind. I've always had the same idea, but this story is the BEST way to describe it. Hope you don't mind if I link to this :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails