Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Wish...

One day, while reaching down to pick up a lucky penny that was resting precariously atop a four-leaf clover, I spotted a shooting star blazing across the sky.

So I made a wish…
  • I wished that foods that do our bodies little good…fat, sugar and salt…didn’t have such a stranglehold on the wiring inside our heads. It’s never made much sense to me that a brain responsible for our body’s wellbeing would encourage such poor decision-making when it comes to self-preservation.

  • I wished that my kids (and your kids, I suppose) would embrace the importance of healthy eating and exercise and not make the mistakes that you and I made in our misspent youth.

  • I wished that I was sitting on a beach in Hannalai Bay in Kauii chowing down on some fresh pineapple and watching surfers falling off their boards.

  • I wished that those in need of a spark to really and truly get going on this adventure can be hit with a lightening bolt of inspiration and commitment, that they can get that push they need to take that fateful leap.

  • I wished that this good positive energy I’m feeling most days could be bottled up and saved for those times when I wonder if it’s all worth it, when I feel like letting it all go and just do whatever it is I do to mess myself up. And I wish I could share it, maybe just provide a little sample, to all those who question whether the effort and sacrifice are worth the end result.

  • I wished that tomatoes at the Farmer’s Market weren’t so damned expensive.

  • I wished that each of us had the wherewithal to gracefully handle the stresses that we all face… the health concerns and the financial worries, the headaches at the office and heartaches within our homes, the little day-to-day dramas and the big world-shaking catastrophes. And I wished that those times that our faith would be tested would be few and far between...

  • I wished that, one this day, everyone who reads these words would find a clarity of purpose and a strength of will to accomplish what they’ve set out to do on this journey, and that they succeed beyond the the wildest of their dreams.

“May you have love that never ends,
lots of money and lots of friends.


Health be yours, whatever you do
and may God send many blessings to you.”

–Old Irish blessing

35 comments:

  1. I thought the same exact thing as Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, just when I think there isn't a wish big enough to cover all that I need to cover....well, there you are. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanalei Bay is my favoritest place in the world. Whenever I'm in pain - emotionally or physically, i close my eyes and remember the days I have spent there.

    Eating pineapple. Snorkeling with giant sea turtles.

    If it weren't for that pesky green card thing, i would be there permanently.

    Thank you for reminding me wishing for things out of reach ain't so bad.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Volunteer at the farmer's market and the producers are more than likely to give you food at a reduced price.

    http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/fmnp/fmnpfaqs.htm
    Qualifying persons can actually get discounts at farmer's markets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you could bottle your optimism too. I'm starting to lose it. Wondering more and more each day if it's worth punishing myself when I don't eat healthily, and slowly letting go.

    Thank you for your wisdom. I wish I could get some of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that my "runner's high" would hit as soon as I walked out of the door and stay with me until I returned.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice post post. I like it a lot. I wish all the same for you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the same wavelength JS. I have "a wish" post today too! What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I am not sure the surfers out there are going to appreciate this post much but I know I sure did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I wish the same right back at you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All good thoughts and wishes. Here's hoping that they all come true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Jack. That was lovely.

    Actually, there is a good reason that we are hard-wired to like sugar, fat and salt: we've still got the brains of cave people, who needed this stuff to survive between long periods of time when food was difficult to find.

    Sadly, we still love this stuff, but instead of having to walk ten miles to find a honey comb and brave swarms of vicious bees to get a little taste of the stuff, now we just have to walk across the street to buy a bag of Mars bars!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was really lovely. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for that! It was really nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I wished that tomatoes at the Farmer’s Market weren’t so damned expensive."

    why is this? I say we protest! :) I'm going down to my FM today...join me? lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to go to a farmer's market.
    I would like to see hawaii someday...
    ah well.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was great! I hate that the addicting food is the cheapest and worst for you! I wish McDonald's was really expensive! We just all have to work to get to that point were fake food taste bad...there's a long but worthy road to take.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I wish, my mom always said wish in one hand sh*t in the other... moral of the story ... do it!! just do it!!

    but yeah I wish and wish and wish, but feel so much better and have better balance in my life when it isn't I wish, I wish and more I am doing, I am doing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for wishing all that on all of our behalves. Great post as always, Jack. You got some kind of heart, there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish that broccoli tasted as good as Wings and Beer.

    But short of that... I wish for all these things too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jack, I love this post!

    In particular this "I wished that this good positive energy I’m feeling most days could be bottled up and saved for those times when I wonder if it’s all worth it, when I feel like letting it all go and just do whatever it is I do to mess myself up. And I wish I could share it, maybe just provide a little sample, to all those who question whether the effort and sacrifice are worth the end result."

    It would be so great to have an "on demand" extra motivation button!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely post. If I had a wish, I would give it to you, so you could get all you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Jack. I needed a little o' that today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a lovely post :) This journey isn't easy is it? In theory it is - in practice some days can be so difficult. I have done a lot of wishing recently.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Inspiring. We are all in this together....

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wish I didn't find out the weights in the machines I use at the gym are in pounds and not in kilos!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Jack!

    Great blog! I found you through the exhotgirl, and love your blog. You're an awesome writer and have one of the most creative styles I've ever seen. Not to mention how inspiring you've been over the past few weeks that I've been checking your blog out.

    Thanks for all!

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for the lovely wishes, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  29. And dang, I just wished for a pony. You are a better man than I, which is a good thing, because I'm a girl! :) Seriously though, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  30. First let me say that I love your avatar!

    I am new to the WLJ and I am just beginning to get in the groove, but I am finding your blog exceptionally inspiring. Thanks for keeping it real!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails