Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Unleashed

Ever taken an unruly dog on a walk and nearly gotten your arm jerked out of the socket as he struggles and strains against the tug of the leash?



That's how my weight-loss journey feels these days. I'm trying to do right but seem to be constantly fighting forces beyond my control.



I have a long history of massive losses followed almost immediately by inexplicable climbs back up the obesity ladder. Even though I know better, my mutt of a body seems to catch a scent of something it wants to chase and it’s all I can do to keep my fingers clenched tightly around the leash.



I have a bad week, see a jump on the scale and give the leash a hearty jerk. I loosen my grip for a moment, thinking I've got things back under control, and then... LOOK, A SQUIRREL!



However, I have a leash and it’s strong and well-made. It’s woven out of sweat and commitment, forged from well-earned wisdom and the support of family and
 friends. It’s triple-reinforced with the will of a community of like-minded individuals, and while there may be a little give in it, there’s no way that sucker’s gonna break.



Sure, there’s a part of me that longs to break free and run wild as I have in the past.
 But there’s a stronger voice that takes over these days. A voice that instills confidence, demands discipline. It’s the voice that will keep me on the right path and lead me back home when the day is done.



We are all the masters of our own destinies, keepers of our own leashes. Whether yours is way-too-slack or trim and tight, I encourage you to hold on for all you’re worth.




4 comments:

  1. Brilliantly said!!!!
    Just keep on hanging in there!!
    You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My leash is way to slack but reading your blog helps to tighten it a little.
    Your doing awesome, just keep on holding that leash as tight as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to pull in the slack on my leash. I keep tripping over it and fall into good food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep On hanging Jack!!! It is a lifelong thing! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails